Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Maybe what life needs is a good soundtrack

I love sharing the things that I'm passionate about (or just really enjoy) with others.  That is what I love about sites like Facebook and Twitter.  If I read a book that I can't put down or see a great movie, I can post it to my profile and share it with friends.  So don't be surprised if I blog (often) about what I'm reading, watching and listening to...my current obsessions.
  
That said, today's obsession...music.  I love a great soundtrack, and the Twilight Saga movies have all had really incredible soundtracks.  Twilight included music from great artists like Muse (Supermassive Black Hole), Blue Foundation (Eyes On Fire),  Iron and Wine (Flightless Bird, American Mouth), and Radiohead (15 Steps).  The (pleasantly) surprising gems on that soundtrack were by none other than Edward Cullen himself, Rob Pattinson.  The two tracks he contributed, Never Think and Let Me Sign, were AMAZING.  I'm really hoping that is not all we hear from him on the music front because he a seriously talented musician!


The New Moon soundtrack did not disappoint either.  We were blessed with another track from Twilight Saga author Stephenie Meyer's fave Muse (I Belong To You), along with an original track from Death Cab For Cutie (Meet Me On The Equinox).  Other stand-outs included Anya Marina (Satellite Heart), Lykke Li (Possibility), Sea Wolf (The Violet Hour), and Radiohead singer Thom Yorke (Hearing Damage).  The soundtrack is rounded out by New Moon Score composer Alexandre Desplat's heart-tugging piano track New Moon (The Meadow).


The third installment of The Twilight Saga, Eclipse, impressed with the best soundtrack of the series so far.  It's the Eclipse soundtrack that I can't get enough of right now.  This time Muse contributed an original track, Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever).  There are amazing tracks from Metric (Eclipse (All Yours)), The Dead Weather (Rolling In On A Burning Tire), Band of Horses (Life On Earth), and The Black Keys (Chop And Change).  The songs I love so much that I have them playing on a loop on my iPod are Florence + The Machine's atmospheric (Heavy In Your Arms), Sia's haunting and beautiful ballad (My Love) and Cee Lo Green's funky folk-like (What Part Of Forever). 


No matter how you feel about the book series or the movies, The Twilight Saga has turned out three must-have soundtracks.  With the final installment of the series, Breaking Dawn, being split into two films, let's hope that means two more incredible soundtracks.  And if you, like me, love the soundtracks to the films, I highly recommend visiting Stephenie Meyer's official website and checking out the playlists that inspired her while writing each of the books.

Passion is passion.  It's the excitement between the tedious spaces, and it doesn't matter where it's directed...It can be coins or sports or politics or horses or music or faith...the saddest people I've ever met in life are the ones who don't care deeply about anything at all.  ~ Nicholas Sparks, Dear John

No comments: